The holidays are a special time of year to serve decadent treats! You'll thrill your guests with these super rich, creamy, chocolate-filled cookie tarts. They express the elegance of the festive occasions all packed in a bite-size, easy to enjoy portion. Truly, the perfect party cookie to serve.
Side Note: This is one of our favorite recipes for our cookie exchange parties. They may take a little longer to prepare but the "WOW" effect is worth it. And, being that we're obsessed with cookies and love to share recipes with you... Well, we absolutely love how this cookie has so much personality in just one single serving size. This is worth adding to your party dessert repertoire.
Prep Time: 65 mins + cooling / Bake: 20 mins. + chilling / yields 30 cookies.
FOR THE COOKIE DOUGH:
1/2 cup Butter, softened
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup packed Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup baking Cocoa
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
FOR THE FILLING:
2 Cups (12 ounces) Semisweet Chocolate Chips
2/3 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1/4 cup Butter, cubed
2 Egg Yolks
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until blended. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
2) Shape level tablespoons of dough into 2 1/2 inch wide patties. Press onto bottoms and up sides of greased mini-muffin cups.
3) Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Immediately press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
4) For filling, in a small heavy saucepan, combine chocolate chips, cream and butter; cook and stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from heat.
5) In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat 15-17 minutes or until mixture is thickened and a thermometer reads at least 160 degrees, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Immediately transfer filling to a bowl; cool about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6) Spoon 1 tablespoon filling into each crust. Top with sprinkles. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
Place your cookie tarts on a beautiful serving tray and enjoy the delighted looks of your family and friends as they prepare to indulge in these delightful treats!