FUN AND YUM! These Holiday M&M Cookie Bars bring ease and joy to holiday baking. So fast to make and so delicious to eat. We love the bright red and green colors that just "bake out" that Christmas Cheer!
Prep Time: 10 mins. prep / 30-35 mins bake time / yields about 16 squares
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips (we use semi-sweet chips)
1/2 cup M&M's
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 8-inch square baking pan with cookie spray oil and line with a piece of parchment paper, allowing the overhang to come off the 2 sides. Set aside.
2) In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer or stand mixer to cream together butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about two minutes.
3) Add egg and vanilla, and beat on low until incorporated. Add flour, baking soda, and salt and beat until just combined. Reserve 1 tablespoon each of chocolate chips and M&M's (for the top) and fold in the rest
4) Spread the cookie dough onto the lined pan. Press in the remaining chocolate chips and M&M's on top.
5) Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown, and the toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The cookie dough may not look completely done in the middle, but they will continue to cook as they are cooling.
6) Allow the cookies to cool completely in the pan. Then, use the parchment paper overhang to pull them out, cut into squares, and serve.
NOTE: Cool cookies completely and cut, then store in an airtight container. They will last up to 4 days or they can be frozen up to 3 months.
BAKER'S TIP: You can make a bigger batch by doubling the recipe and spreading the cookie dough into a 9x13-inch baking pan (following the same prep instructions detailed above).
Nutrition Facts: 1 Cookie
Calories 165 (calories 10% from fat). Fat 8.2g; Cholesterol 26.9mg; Sodium 82.9mg; Carbohydrate 22.8g; Protein 2.2g; Vitamin A 53.5mg; Sugar 13.3mg, Vitamin C 0mg