Get creative and paint your own personalized sugar cookies! You choose your own shapes and you make your own special designs. These are perfect cookies for a group activity or any themed event!
Prep Time: 25 mins. / Chill Time: 2 hours / Yields About 5 Dozen 2-inch Cookies
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 large egg
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
For Colors: Food Coloring, One Egg Yolk, 1/4 Teaspoon Water
1) Mix powdered sugar, margarine or butter, vanilla, almond extract and egg in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and Refrigerate.
QUICK TIP: If you rather not roll your dough and make for quick cutting, prepare your soft dough into a block matching the size of the cookie cutter that you will be using. Once the dough is ready, use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 1/4 inch slices (or however thick you desire) and stamp your shapes out.
2) Heat oven to 375 degrees, Fahrenheit. Cover your cookie sheet with parchment paper.
3) Cut Dough into desired shapes with 2- to 2 1/2-inch cookies cutters (you can use larger ones too, but will yield less cookies).
4) Mix 1 egg yolk with 1/4 teaspoon water. Divide mixture among several cups. Tint each with different food color to make bright colors. (If paint thickens while standing, stir in a few drops of water.) Paint designs on cookies with small paintbrushes. Place on cookie sheet.
5) Bake 6 - 8 minutes depending on your internal oven temperature and thickness of your cookie.
OVEN TIP: First test bake a cookie or two in your oven to check the results of your oven temperature and baking time...you can always reduce or increase the baking time to achieve the results that you want.
6) Cool on wire rack.
ALTERNATE COOKIES -- USE GRANULATED COLORED SUGAR INSTEAD!
Simply sprinkle the sugar on your cookie shapes and bake!
Nutrition Facts: 1 Cookie
Calories 60 (calories from fat 25). Fat 3 g (Saturated 1g); Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 60mg; Carbohydrate 8g; (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 0g